Friday, August 08, 2008

08.08.08

Stephanie,

You are one of the nicest, free-est, most sincere people I've ever known. You are a person who has actually inspired me to send a text that says, "Ooo, you're like the sun: chasing all the rain away." You have never hesitated to love me no matter what. You have never passed judgement on me. You have never made me feel like I might do something to make you love me less.

Oh, Steph, where do I start with you? When we threw bottles off of the fire escape at Watts? Skinny dipping at Green Valley? Showing our boobs for beers? Playing guitar and having sing-alongs on the beach in Pensacola? Or the billion other sing-alongs that we had a billion other places? Drinking games, hangovers, coffee, dinner, shopping, guitars, keyboards, snakes, kitties, mice?

Stephanie, getting married is a big deal; it works for some people and for others it doesn't. What I hope for you is that you've found a man who supports all of your dreams and quirkiness. I hope that he can give you the kind of life that will allow you to flourish, to really be. I hope that you cook dinner together every night with vegetables from your garden, that there is a vase of flowers from your yard on the table, and that one day there will be a crib with a tiny, wriggling little thing in it that you and James gaze lovingly at before you mix your evening cocktail.

And for the reality portion of this post: this is going to be very hard. You are going to have moments where you wonder who James is, wonder who you are, wonder where your brain was when you decided being married was a good idea. If there ever is a wriggling little thing you are going to wonder how you got that one, that one that cries and screams and says "no" and says "oh fuckin' damnit" and throws things and poops on the bathmat.

Wait, that's my life. Nevermind. Yours is going to be rosy and calm and I will be jealous forever. But if it ever should resemble mine, remember that you can call me and we can talk about it. I am imperfect as a woman, wife, friend, and mother, but I try very hard, and one thing that I can do well is listen. We can talk about the weather, or what we're making for dinner, or what makes us want to make our husbands sleep in the back yard while we quietly change the locks. Whatever you want. Because I have rain in my life, too, and you do chase all the rain away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was the sweetest post ever, buff. I love you with all my heart. Last night was the best of my life and it wouldn't have been quite so lovely without you to share it with! We love your guts, and we can have married ladies' lunch as soon as I return from the island!!!! love you, love stephanie (or i could use my new initials s.n.m.) :) XOXOXO

Thom said...

Awww that was so sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I know this is from way out in left field, but I'm the founder of Grokodile and I'm out scouring the net for blogs today.

It looks like I found yours! ;)

Anyway, I've added it to the directory here...

http://www.grokodile.com/dir/USA/Alabama/?loc=Leeds

If you'd like to change anything, just add it again, yourself, to replace what I've put in.

Keep on bloggin,
Andrew

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful bit of insight from grokodile.