Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am in love with J.D. Salinger.

Some quotes from this Wikiquote article on J.D. Salinger:

He said I was unequipped to meet life because I had no sense of humor.

The fact is always obvious much too late, but the most singular difference between happiness and joy is that happiness is a solid and joy a liquid.

Life is a gift horse in my opinion.

You'd better get busy, though, buddy. The goddam sands run out on you every time you turn around. I know what I'm talking about. You're lucky if you get time to sneeze in this goddam phenomenal world.

She said she knew she was able to fly because when she came down she always had dust on her fingers from touching the lightbulbs.

I'm a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy.

Marriage partners are to serve each other. Elevate, help, teach, strengthen each other, but above all, serve. Raise their children honorably, lovingly and with detachment. A child is a guest in the house, to be loved and respected - never possessed, since he belongs to God. How wonderful, how sane, how beautifully difficult, and therefore true.

Please accept from me this unpretentious bouquet of very early-blooming parentheses: (((()))).

What is it but a low form of prayer when he or Les or anybody else God-damns everything? I can't believe God recognizes any form of blasphemy. It's a prissy word invented by the clergy.

How terrible it is when you say I love you and the person on the other end shouts back 'What?'

No comments: