Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Our dominatrix is named H & R Block, and we totally submit to her every whim.

So tonight, Jason and I are going to get our taxes done. This is just as good as sex and chocolate, okay? We've been waiting for this; we each had two different jobs last year, so we had to wait on not four but FIVE different W2's to come in the mail as one of Jason's jobs involved swapping from one company to another. Slowly but surely they all trickled in, until finally my W2 for my current job arrived in our mailbox yesterday, and Jason and I exhaled together in ecstasy as we dreamed about this computer and this phone and hundreds of other things that we WON'T BUY with the money because it's all going to pay for Reed, a purchase we made without thinking it through and once he started to scream and malfunction we totally realized that the money could have been spent elsewhere. Except the camera- we're buying the camera. We've talked it over and we totally deserve a nice present with all that money after all the shit that 2006 brought our way, and we should have just enough money to get the camera and finish paying for Reed.

Don't get me wrong; 2006 brought a lot of good things, too. But I have never in my life had a year in which so many bad things happened. We had a wreck that really could have been a lot worse, and I am so thankful that Jason and I weren't hurt and that Reed and Kane and Jude weren't with us. BUT IT STILL BLEW, and was the worst wreck I've ever been involved in. Jason's car broke down, like, a million times. Our house payment randomly went up about $150 a month when we barely had the money to pay it anyway. Reed's ceiling caved in, luckily while he wasn't underneath it. We went through three different arrangements for "Who's keeping Reed?" just so I can work at a job where my boss treats me like I'm an idiot, and we still can't pay the bills. Jason took a job where he was promised all this money and prestige and ended up just having to bend over every day for a bunch of rich guys who didn't give a shit about him or his family. And, to top it all off, I was eyeball-deep in a funk for about three-quarters of this year in the midst of all that other shit, so I really wasn't much help at all. There are plenty of people who have it worse than us, and there are horrors in the world that I will never have to experience, but that doesn't change the fact that this year was HARD. I am happy to be starting a new one even if things are still a little mixed up.

And, hey, even if things are totally messed up this year, you will be able to check out some RIGHTEOUS pictures of us falling apart!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our camera was the best gift Jenni and I bought to celebrate Benjamin. I love it! We now have way too many pictures and our house has been called the Benjamin Museum by our neighbors. Of course you guys have three around so it probably will be a little more diverse.

I totally understand about the varying house payment. I don't know if you two rent or have a mortgage but I pay the HELOC portion of our loan and it started off being only $75 per month then the FED kept raising the interest rate. It is now over $200 per month. Not really accounted for in our budget when we bought the house. But we manage to do it somehow and I'll go on internship next summer and I won't have to pay that anymore.

Yes, it is a painting of a chicken. Point. Point. Point.