Friday, July 24, 2009

On an early grave.

Last night Reed and I were riding along in the car and I said, "Hey, guess who's coming tomorrow? Kane and Jude!"

He said, "Ahhhhhhh, yay! That makes my life feel happy."

I honestly had to turn away and shed a little tear because it was just so sweet.

In other news, THAT CHILD MAKES ME WANT TO THROW MYSELF INTO A MEAT GRINDER SOME TIMES. For pete's sakes, I can't even relate to you how awful it can be trying to deal with a screaming, writhing, obstinate, raging MESS like he can be sometimes. I might as well be pinching him and stomping his toes, he has the same horrified reaction to my saying "Let's go to Whole Foods for dinner", and the best part is he loves Whole Foods, loves going there and eating there and hanging out there, but he wanted to hang out at Ma's for another FOR-FUCKING-EVER and then go to Whole Foods, while I wanted to go BEFORE THE END OF TIME AND EXISTENCE. So we proceeded to fight and slam and stomp and scream and cry, both of us, don't you for a second think I'm above acting like my almost-four-year-old son, because NO I am not.

I go through these (very short) periods in which I think THAT'S IT, I'm cured, the Prozac fixed everything, God bless it! But, people, there is not enough Prozac in the WORLD to make me capable of dealing with Reed "Bull In A Goddamned China Shop" Agan when he goes on a tear, starts throwing things and stomping and screaming and calling me a butthead.

Last night my mom tried to calm me by saying "Sometimes people just get too tired, and it makes them act like this." It occurs to me today that she might have been referring to me just as much as to Reed.

But at the time I just thought, "Yes, sometimes people get too tired, and sometimes people get locked in the trunk while people's moms try some of that new high-alcohol beer."

Hey, I said sometimes.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Delirium Tremens is really good, AND the glasses have pink elephants on 'em.

Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Delirium Nocturnum is even better.

Dr. Some Jerk

hippittee said...

thank you for that. you expressed how i feel on a regular basis with both my four and six year old.

ps - found you recently via comments on another blog , which now escapes me. so glad to add you to my daily blog roll!

Birdie said...

Hahaha...I can SO relate to the "screming,, writhing, obstinate, raging MESS" bit. Yesterday, we tooled around the grocery store to a shouted refrain of "NO MAMA! MAH DO IT MAH-SELF! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!" Never has a can of beans looked so temptingly like a weapon. Just not sure if I wanted to bean him or myself in the head.